Community members from around the region are invited to attend a forum on “Networked Communities” to be held Saturday, April 26 in Emerado, N.D.
The forum, hosted by the University of North Dakota Center for Community Engagement, is free of charge and transportation from UND is provided. A complimentary lunch will be served by the host community.
The annual “Community Connect Forum” brings together community members, faculty and students for a discussion about issues important to rural communities.
This year’s programming will focus on the part internal and external networks play in a community’s development. A roundtable discussion of the possibilities for communities to collaborate will include mayors from Lakota, Sheyenne, Emerado, and Grand Forks in North Dakota and Hallock and Warren in Minnesota, as well as the chair of the Spirit Lake Tribe. A plenary and workshop also will feature a study and discussion of networks in the communities of Emerado, Bowdon and Hebron.
Presentations on two regional projects will provide participants insight into how major partnerships between communities and institutions can be successful: (1)“Grand Sky” is an aviation and business technology park to be located at the Grand Forks Air Force Base, (2) and the Grand Forks County Prairie Project is a collaborative effort to increase the economic, wildlife and cultural value of the grasslands west of Grand Forks.
The commander of the Grand Forks Air Force Base, Col. Paul E. Bauman, will be the luncheon speaker, addressing the importance of networking between military and civilian neighbors. An optional Air Force Base tour is available to the first 40 interested people who register by April 9.
Registration for the forum is free. Registration information and a complete schedule of the day’s events can be found on the Center’s website at www.communityengagement.und.edu ,or by calling 701.777.0675.
Emerado Forum Schedule:
- 8:30 a.m., Coffee and Registration, Emerado Elementary School, Door One, 501 Main Street.
- 8:30 a.m., Exhibits, hallways outside the gymnasium.
- 9 a.m., Introductory Welcome, gymnasium.
- 9:15 a.m., Networked Communities-Plenary Session, gymnasium.
- 10:15 a.m., Break-Coffee and Networking.
- 10:30 a.m., Networked Governments – Mayoral Roundtable, gymnasium.
- 10:30 a.m., Tour of the Grand Forks Air Force Base, departs from school parking lot at Door One, pre-registration required.
- Noon, Networked Neighbors – Lunch Session, gymnasium.
- 1 p.m., Networking and Exhibits.
- 1:30 p.m., Networked Solutions – Workshop, gymnasium.
- 1:30 p.m., Networked Partners – Roundtable, Emerado Community Center, 200 Main Street.
- 3:30 p.m., Networked Institutions – UND Art Exhibit, Emerado City Hall, 201 Main Street.
- 3:30 p.m., Social Networking – Closing Reception, Emerado Community Center, 200 Main Street.
David L. Dodds
Media Relations Coordinator
Public Relations Group
Division of University and Public Affairs
264 Centennial Drive Stop 7144
Grand Forks, ND 58202-7144
701.777.5529 | 701.777.4616 fax