In celebration of Black History Month, the University of North Dakota Women’s Center’s next Meet, Eat, and Learn event will celebrate diversity with speaker and current UND student Mildred Biaku.
The event is from noon to 1 p.m., Wednesday, Feb. 12, in the UND International Centre. Lunch will be provided.
Biaku is a graduate student currently pursuing her Ph.D. in teaching and learning. Biaku will be talking about her experiences as an international student here at UND.
Biaku, originally from Ghana, a country in West Africa, will focus on the challenges of being a mother of three and a UND international student. This will include general socio-cultural difference that she has encountered, especially here at UND.
The Meet, Eat and Learn series, hosted by the UND Women’s Center, provides students an opportunity to learn something new, share views and ideas, and interact with others.
For more information, contact the UND Women’s Center with questions at 701.777.4300.
More Black History Month events at UND:
- Monday, Feb. 24: African Student Union Meetings, 7 p.m., UND Memorial Union President’s Room. Student Organization gathers for people with an affinity for Africa.
- Tuesday, Feb. 11, 18, and 25: Drop-In Hip Hop Classes, 6:15 p.m., UND Wellness Center Group Exercise Rooms 272 and 274. Learn Hip Pop Dance moves that are choreographed to high energy motivating music.
- Wednesday, Feb. 12: Student Panel on the Benefits of Internships, noon-1 p.m., UND Memorial Union Loading Dock. Free pizza from Pizza Ranch will provide for first 50 students.
- Wednesday, Feb. 19 and 26: Black Student Association Meetings, 6 p.m., Era Bell Thompson Multicultural Center. For more information, contact Multicultural Students Services (MSS).
- Wednesday, Feb. 26: African Expo, 7-8 p.m., UND Memorial Union Loading Dock. Learn the purpose of African dance and its connection to modern dances. Participants will have opportunity to learn drum, and dances specific to various African countries.
- Thursday, Feb. 20: Black/African-American Cultural Dinner, dinning center hours, all UND dining centers. Multicultural Student Services and UND Dining partners will provide the taste of Black and African-American cuisine.
- Friday, Feb. 14, 21, and 28: Breakfast Chat Fridays, 9-11 a.m., Era Bell Thompson Multicultural Center. It is an opportunity for students to have a deep conversation at multicultural student services. There is no agenda, just come eat and chat.
- Saturday, Feb. 22: Spring 2014 Leadership Conference, 9 a.m.-3 p.m., UND Memorial Union. A conference that will leave you feeling inspired, empowered, prepared, reflective and called to action. Lunch will be provided to all attendees. Conference is free, advanced registration need. Facilitators of UND community may present at this conference. To learn more about the conference and become a facilitator, visit: http://tinyurl.com/UND-LEAD.
- Sunday, Feb. 16, and 23: Drop-In Hip Hop Classes, 5:15 p.m., UND Wellness center Group Exercise Rooms 272 and 274.
David L. Dodds
Media Relations Coordinator
Public Relations Group
Division of University and Public Affairs
264 Centennial Drive Stop 7144
Grand Forks, ND 58202-7144
701.777.5529 | 701.777.4616 fax