UND’s 22nd annual New Faculty and Administrators Bus Tour, led by University of North Dakota President Robert Kelley and First Lady Marcia Kelley, will kick off next week for a three-day tour of North Dakota.
The bus tour runs Aug 13-15 and offers a glimpse of North Dakota’s geography, economy, culture and heritage. It provides approximately 30 new faculty and administrators a chance to connect with alumni and friends of the University and learn about the challenges and opportunities shaping the state.
Kelley will be leading the tour for the fifth year. It will include new faculty members and administrators such as Susan Balcom Walton, the new vice president of university and public affairs; Denise Korniewicz, dean of UND’s College of Nursing; and Raymond Goldsteen, director of UND’s Master of Public Health Program.
Tour coordinator Fred Wittmann, director of the UND Office of Ceremonies and Special Events, noted the tours give UND’s newest faculty members and administrators a sense of where many of their students will come from.
The schedule of destinations includes Cooperstown, Carrington, Washburn, Bismarck, Fort Yates, Lisbon, Wahpeton and Arthur. Tour participants will also see the new location of the UND School of Medicine and Health Sciences’ Center for Family Medicine building, as well as other Bismarck-area healthcare facilities.
Wittmann said the tour, which alternates each year between two routes along the northern and southern parts of the state, includes a mix of new and traditional events.
An Aug. 14 dinner at the Heritage Center in Bismarck is a continuation of a longstanding tradition that welcomes state and local leaders and UND alumni and friends. For the first time, the tour will be visiting Sitting Bull College in Fort Yates on the Standing Rock Reservation. Tour participants also will have lunch in Fort Yates with tribal leaders and UND alumni.
The new faculty and administrators bus tours are funded by the UND Alumni Association & Foundation and the President’s Office.
Selected stops for 2012 Bus Tour Schedule:
Monday, Aug. 13
- Depart from Chester Fritz Auditorium parking lot about 7:30 a.m.
- Travel to Cooperstown to tour the Oscar-Zero Missile Alert Facility, part of the Ronald Reagan Minuteman State Historic Site
- Lunch in Carrington with community leaders, UND alumni and friends
- Dinner in Washburn with community members
Tuesday, Aug. 14
- Travel down historic Highway 1806 to Sitting Bull College on the Standing Rock Reservation
- Lunch in Fort Yates with community and tribal leaders and UND alumni
- Visit Fort Lincoln State Park and home of George Armstrong Custer (near Mandan)
- Tour State Capitol Building in Bismarck
- Dinner at North Dakota Heritage Center
Wednesday, Aug. 15
- Tour UND School of Medicine and Health Sciences’ Center for Family Medicine building in Bismarck
- Stop in Lisbon for lunch
- Tour campus of North Dakota State College of Science in Wahpeton
- Dinner in Arthur with alumni and community members
- Return to Chester Fritz parking lot about 9 p.m.
David L. Dodds
Media Relations/Writer & Editor
Office of University Relations
264 Centennial Drive Stop 7144
Grand Forks, ND 58202-7144
701.777.5529| 701.777.4616 fax